Thursday, January 31, 2008

Digital photography

The art of Photography dates back to the 19th century. Since then there has been tremendous advancements in this field. One of the latest is the invention of the digital camera. In digital photography, photographs are taken digitally and are stored digitally using a computer. Digital photography paved the way for the film to go. Today many companies who traditionally manufactured film and cameras using photographic film have pulled out of the market.

Traditional cameras use film to capture images. These films or negatives have to be chemically processed to get the photograph. This requires studio facilities and uses up a lot of time. The films can not be reused either. Digital photography uses digital technology. An image sensor in the Digital camera captures the images. The sensor consists of silicon chips containing photosensitive diodes. These diodes, called photosites, record the intensity of the light which falls on them and the information is stored digitally as a set of numbers. The images stored in the memory card are downloaded into a computer and the card can be reused. The image is reconstructed on the screen or printed on paper using these numbers to set the brightness and the color of the dots which make up the picture.

Digital cameras are becoming smaller and smaller. They have many features which help the photographer to program the camera to his liking. The cameras function as both movie and still camera. It not only stores images but can also record video and sound. Some can be connected to the computer to be used as web cams. Today many mobile phones too have a digital camera feature. The quality of the digital image depends on various factors. The heavily marketed pixel count is one of them. The lens quality, capture medium, capture format and the processing are the major factors which decide the quality of the picture.

With a digital camera and a printer you can make magic. Such is the potential of digital photography that even a novice can make a good quality photograph nowadays. You can change the size, color, brightness and the background of the picture, insert another picture into it or remove a part of the picture and what not. The possibilities are endless. Though doctoring of photographs has been going on since the birth of photography it has never been so easy to do so.

The drawback of digital photography is its high initial expenditure on the camera, heavy use of battery, sensitiveness of camera to moisture and extreme temperatures. The cameras have a shorter service life and gets outdated quickly. There is a fear that with further advancement in computer technology, today’s digital photographs may become inaccessible.

Technology has truly revolutionized photography. So much so that you need not be an expert or spend hours on a single photograph any more. Technology has improved tremendously and will change more in the future. You may soon be able to see moving digital photos on electronic paper and that too in 3 D.

Get more information at http://www.sharpics.com/


Technorati Profile

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

It's nice to see someone else who enjoys photography. I enjoyed your article. I agree, digital cameras have revolutionized photography. It's getting easier and easier for the everyday person to take and print wonderful looking pictures. I recently took some online courses so I could improve on my photography with my digital camera and my 35 mm. I know some people think I’m crazy but I must say that even though I do have a good digital camera, I still keep my 35 mm SLR around for special occasions. Sometimes you just can't beat film, but overall my digital camera has all the features that I need for a wide variety of photography.
Actually the reason that I enjoy talking about photography so much is I have decided to start my own photography company called "Reel Photography." It's still in the very early stages; at this point I’m still planning everything. After doing research I’ve concluded that the area I live in seems to be in need of a pet photographer. I have decided to make pet photography a good portion of what I focus on and I must say that my digital camera is sure going to come in handy for this project.

I have 5 dogs of my own that I have been practicing on and they don't like to hold still for anything, so trying to get good quality pictures of them is quite a chore. My digital camera is going to be a real asset to my business. I live in Montana which makes a great set for scenery pictures. Glacier National Park is almost in my back yard. Therefore, scenery pictures will also be a good thing to focus on. Not only will I be able to market my pictures on a website but I could also offer customers the option of having their pics made up into a calendar or other novelties items like that.

Which leads me to some of the problems I have been having, with starting my business. Trying to get good advice from people isn't easy. I am at the point where it is important for me to come up with a business logo. I realize that a good business logo is important to all types of businesses. Weather they advertise online or in their local newspaper, every business must have one. I was referred to www.pixellogo.com and I picked out a logo that I believe will work good for me.

However, I have learned that just because I like something, that doesn't mean that everyone will like it. I read a blog earlier today explaining that some people go to far when it comes to logo and web page design. It says that people get so focused on what they like that they don’t take into account that they are not the customer. So it is important to get opinions from others, I’m not going to be the one visiting my site to purchase anything.

If you copy this address http://www.pixellogo.com/3D-12-p-16410.html and paste it in your address bar it will take you right to the logo that I’m interested in. Out of all the research that I’ve done about photography I’ve learned that there are so many things that are important to keep in mind. I always enjoy reading any article that talks about anything pertaining to photography. The more I can learn about people’s opinion, the better my business will be.